Thursday, December 10, 2009

DEFOE: ENGLAND HAVE A CLUB MENTALITY NOW

It was difficult to take Eriksson's axe

By Greg Gobere, 05/12/2009

IT DEFINITELY feels different this time around.


From the moment World Cup fever broke out in Cape Town on Friday night, when the phony war ended and the real business began, it felt different.

In the past, we have heard talk of England's Golden Generation. Anything less than a semi-final was beneath them.

At other times, there has been relief. A guilty feeling of being lucky to reach the Finals. But when you look at Fabio Capello, all you see is calm. Confidence, resilience and calm.

The mood of the nation seems to echo the man in whom they are entrusting all their faith.

For Jermain Defoe, it feels different... because under Capello, things are different.

He said: "We've moved on as a squad and things aren't the same any more. We have a manager who really makes the difference. He has helped everyone feed off the confidence of winning games and performing well like no one else did before.

"You can have the best players in the world together, but you need someone to really make you believe you can get to the top. It's like when Jose Mourinho went to Chelsea. He said he already had winners in the team but he had to make them really believe they could win things.

"We're all together on and off the pitch and it's all down to Capello's approach. That goes from the coaching staff right down. The whole set-up is perfect.

"We have a real club mentality at England now. Every training session has the same intensity as a competitive game.

"That's how the manager wants it and you can see what he's done has worked wonders for us.

He always tells me: 'Keep it going, get in the box, make the runs, get in behind them'. He gives you confidence and we give him hard work and respect.

"The key thing is the spirit in the team. It's incredible - the best I've seen - and that's because we've got the best manager we've had in a long, long time.

"What Capello does is give everyone a fair opportunity. Reputation counts for nothing. He'll pick players who are all flying at their clubs and allow you to continue that momentum for England. It was never like that before."

Devastating

Heartbreak has been the biggest talking point in Defoe's international career so far.

In 2006, he was snubbed by Sven Goran Eriksson for unseen - and unplayed - 17-year-old Theo Walcott during a striker shortage. The decision still grates.

He recalled: "It was devastating when I was overlooked for the last World Cup. Especially when you feel like you deserve to go. I had been involved in every squad and felt like I contributed to my country going to the Finals. When I found out I wasn't going, I couldn't understand it. It was difficult to take.
"For some reason which I still don't understand the manager didn't pick me." It was even worse when England failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

He added: "There was no way I was going to miss out on the Euros. I was confident of going to the Finals this time but it ended up feeling much worse because that last game against Croatia was down to us and we just didn't perform. It's as simple as that. All we needed was a win or a draw and we lost on our home turf. Look at the players we had at the time. There were no excuses."

Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland could offer five solid reasons why Defoe should be dusting off his suitcase this summer, butthe Tottenham hotshot is anything but complacent.

He said: "Even if someone from the England set-up said to me today: 'You're going to the World Cup 100 per cent, the squad is picked', I still wouldn't let that affect me. As players we try to put the tournament to the back of our minds but watching the draw made it all seem real. I couldn't ignore the anxious feeling in my stomach as they called the names."

The fact that the tournament is taking place in South Africa has only made the striker's desire to be a part of it burn brighter.

He added: "This is happening in Nelson Mandela's country. The struggle that he's been through puts everything in perspective. To me he's an inspiration but I don't think you'll find one person who would tell you any different.

"I've been to Cape Town and Johanesburg before and I loved it there. It's a beautiful country. It was unbelievable. The music in the airport and people dancing were like nothing I had ever seen before. The World Cup is going to be like Disneyland. That's why I need to keep working just as hard in training, trying to improve and keep scoring goals. That's all I want to do. I want to be the best. Otherwise, there is no point. I might as well stay at home and watch it on TV. I've been lucky enough to make my mark so far but if the goals dried up tomorrow, the last thing I would do is sit back and think I'd done enough. This manager picks on merit. You've got to perform.

"People say how well I'm doing under Capello but that's only because I've been given a fair opportunity this time around. A lot of the boys can say the same thing. He's just fair. He just wants to win so if you're on form, he'll use you. There's no favouritism.

"To go to a World Cup or even be in an England squad, you've got to play well and earn it. If someone else steps up for their club and I'm not playing well, he has to go in my place. Otherwise it's not fair. Even if I score four goals in my next England game, it means nothing if I don't get things right for Tottenham."

The striker's refusal to take anything for granted runs right through him. To him, even group minnows Algeria will pose more than a substantial threat to England's progress in South Africa.

DEFOE: Wants to avoid more heartbreakHe said: "These are games that we should win and luckily we have experience of playing USA and Slovenia but no international side is easy.

"I remember USA being a very fit side so they will be able to keep up with our tempo. Landon Donovan is great player for them and they definite be the toughest team we face.

"There wasn't any particular factor that stood out with Slovenia but they along with Algeria are the perfect example of how you need to change your approach and be patient to break teams down.

"At this level, everyone is a real danger. No one will have an easy game at the World Cup and we are no different. People think playing against teams like Algeria is easy but it's the opposite. Everyone is more than technically sound at international level. If they put 10 men behind the ball, you have to show patience and creativity to break them down. It's hard for everyone. Look at how Argentina and Portugal struggled to get to the Finals, yet they'll go there as strong favourites. Everyone will be looking at the usual teams to win it. But for me, Spain are definitely a team to watch. Look at their strength in depth.

"It's crazy to think that players like Xabi Alonso, worth £30m to Real Madrid, and Cesc Fabregas (below), another unbelievable player, might not even get in the starting line-up!

"But I honestly think people will hate the thought of playing us just as much as teams like Spain."

Impact

Defoe was also quick to dispel whispers that England lack depth after their second team failed to muster a challenge against Brazil.

"People can say what they like," he said. "I look around in the changing room all the time and think 'If he comes on he can make an impact or if he comes on he can change our pace'.

"Look at the Holland game. Three players came on at half-time.
"I managed to get two goals but James Milner created havoc and Carlton Cole totally bullied their defence to gets us those goals.
"The manager has a Plan B - and a Plan C."

No comments:

Post a Comment